Uniquely John Norton has a career that crosses over the Arts and Performing and it is this experience that brings a unique aspect to what he offers his clients.
As a professional singer John has a career as you will see below and he continues to sing professionally.
John benefited from being a student of teachers such as – Prof. George Kok, Marita Napier, Antony Roden and Mark Oswald at the Metropolitan Opera. His experience covers the following:
- Operas / Operettas / Musical Performance : La Forza del Destino, Macbeth, Tosca, Tristan und isolde, Faust, Rigoletto, La Boheme, Die Fledermaus, Der Ziguenerbaron, King and I, Der Freischutz, Die Lustigen Weiber von Windsor, The Magic Flute, Der Rosenkavalier, War Requiem, Mozart Requiem, Brahms Requiem, Faure Requiem, Beethovens Mass in C, Beethoven Symphony No.5, Gounod St. Cecilia Mass.
- Recordings: BBC Singers, War Requiem, Carey Blighton Repertoire CD, Theodore Gouvy Requiem,
- Orchestras: Cape Town Symphony Orchestra, Cape Town Opera Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic, Royal Philharmonic, RNCM Orchestra, Orchestra Nationale de Lorraine, Orchestra Philharmonie de Luxembourg.
- Venues: SA ~ Cape Town City Hall, State Theatre UK ~ Bridgewater Hall – Manchester, Royal Albert Hall – London, Briiten Pears Centre ~ Snape Maltings EU ~ Metz, Saarbrucken Salle, Philharmonie Luxembourg
- Organisations: Cape Town Opera House, Roodepoort Opera Theatre, State Theatre, Pretoria, Cape Town Symphony Orchestra, Canzonetta, Royal Philharmonic, Stuttgart Oper, Magdeburg Oper, Trier Oper, Teatro Sao Carlos, Lisbon,
John has also been invited to sing for special events, anniversaries, weddings, funerals and birthdays to add a special touch to any event.
His education in the arts covers music, opera and dance:
- Piano and theory
- Classical Ballet – University of Cape Town
- Spanish dancing, national dancing and jazz dancing – Univ. of Cape Town
- Vocal training with American baritone, Wayne Long @ Cape Town opera company
- Opera & performance studies at Univ. of Cape Town with Prof. Du. Toit
- Studied repertoire interpretation with George Kok @ State Theatre, Johannesburg
- Advanced vocal and performance studies with Marita Napier.
- Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, England
Postgraduate studies in voice and performance with Neil Howlett (opera roles), Henry Hurford (French Song), Anthony Roden (Glyndebourne tenor), Alex Crowe (Baroque music specialist) and Geoffrey Saunders (Broadway and West End performer).
- Masterclasses with the internationally renowned dramatic soprano Carla Pohl and the Metropolitan Opera baritone Mark Oswald.
John has also worked in production and as assistant stage manager for various productions and in various voluntary roles for Arts organisations in both SA and UK as well as in Luxembourg e.g Creamisu part of Caritas inn Luxembourg.